History of the Ashby Open Gardens
From tiny acorns…a potted history of Ashby Open Gardens
2008 saw the first Ashby open gardens. Two gardens opened their gates and raised £200 for Cancer Research UK.
- 2009 was a great success with 5 gardens open. People traveled from as far afield as Loughborough and even Oxford to come and see the gardens. Over £300 was raised for Cancer Research UK.
- 2010 built on the success of the previous two years by having 8 gardens opening. The Open gardens date moved to August to show how the gardens look in late summer.
- 2011 will have 8 gardens again (3 new gardens) and will be opening in Early summer (June). This will give a totally different view of the same gardens.
- 2012 was the first year that we tried to open on both days to give visitors a more flexible visiting time.
- 2013 August opening was the busiest to date. Over 400 visitors and £1800 raised.
- 2014 was a rainy one, but still had 300 people attend. Up to now £6900 has been raised for Cancer Research.
- 2015 was changed to raise money for local charities ‘Air Ambulance Service’ and ‘Hospice Hope’. This was a record breaking year raising £2500 with over 450 visitors.
- 2016 was again in aid of Air Ambulance Service’ and ‘Hospice Hope’. This was another record breaking year raising £2800 with over 596 visitors.
- 2017. The 10TH ANNIVERSARY. Early one again in June. £2400 rasied with 400 visitors.
All Previously Opened Gardens